In line with the decision of March 12, 2020, the Latvian government has declared a emergency situation and decided to
- cancel all international passenger transport through airports, ports, by bus and rail transport from 17 March 2020.
- The Minister for Transport has authorized special international passenger services for repatriations and these can be found on http://www.sam.gov.lv/?cat=8&art_id=9533
- The persons in transit from Latvia to Estonia has to fulfill the following document: http://www.sam.gov.lv/images/modules/items/PDF/item_8590_anketas_LV_parvadatajs_ANGLISKI.pdf
- close all of the EU’s external border crossing points for people and transport from the 17th of March. Restrictions will not apply to cargo.
- The Minister for the Interior and the Minister for Foreign Affairs may make exceptions to the movement of persons and vehicles: the nationals of the Republic of Latvia and foreigners whose habitual residence is the Republic of Latvia shall be authorized to return to the Republic of Latvia through the border crossing points and the foreigners shall be authorized to leave the Republic of Latvia through the crossing points.
On March 12 the Latvian government has declared a state of emergency with a view to restrict the spread of COVID-19. The state of emergency is in effect until April 14, unless the government should decide otherwise:
- educational institutions are being be closed, teaching will be organized remotely, except for centralized state exams;
- all extracurricular activities like sports training, competitions, rehearsals and shows will be cancelled.
- All public events, meetings, processions and pickets with more than 200 participants are banned as of March 13.
More detailed information can be found from the homepage of the Cabinet of Ministers.
This situation is evolving rapidly, please follow the guidelines and instructions of the local authorities!
Latvian Centre for Disease Prevention and Control COVID-19 help line (00 371) 67387661 (Working days from 8:30 – 21.00, on holidays 8:30-21.00.).
If you develop flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing, you should immediately call the direct emergency number 113.
If you want to apply for COVID-19 test then call 8303.